Sportstech SX400 Indoor Cycle Review
Top of the line in its price class, the Sportstech SX400 indoor cycle is built for comfort and to last – it is durable, sturdy and requires very low maintenance. The Sportstech SX400 SpeedBike is an affordably-priced, impressive durable exercise bike trainer that supports up to 150-kilogram user weight and is designed for all fitness levels.
Seen on tens of spin bike reviews in the UK, the professional Sportstech indoor cycle SX400 comes with all the essentials for serious indoor cycling. Whether you are a beginner or pro, or your goal is strength training, weight loss cardio workout or preparing for outdoor rides, the SX400 Sportstech indoor cycle designed by professional German engineers can be a great fitness machine.
The Sportstech SpeedBike SX400 combines three critical components to comfortable cycling performance: full adjustment, an ergonomic handlebar design, and advanced geometry.
Before we get deep into this Sportstech SX400 review, here are a few key features. Sportstech cycle SX400 is equipped with a 2-kg balanced flywheel for smooth, even pedalling, Poly-V belt drivetrain for low maintenance and quiet operation, and the backlit RPM and Bluetooth enabled fitness meter.
Additionally, to give you peace of mind and to confirm the quality of UK Sportstech SX400, the company offers a generous warranty. Sportstech Professional indoor cycle SX400 comes with 2 years frame, technical components, and other parts warranty. This unit’s list price is £600 but now it is priced at about 30 Pounds less with fast shipping included.
In this part of the Sportstech Speedbike SX400 review, I compare the bike with other spin bikes around the same price class and let you know if it is a good value or not. And since we are not paid to write the Sportstech SX400 review, rest assured that this is an honest and unbiased comparison.
Currently, in August 2019, except for the SX400, I haven’t been able to find any spin bike in the UK market that offers the combination of Bluetooth, RPM, full handlebar adjustment, sport seat, heavy flywheel, German engineering, and belt-drive system. Therefore, you can be confident that Sportstech exercise bike SX400 is a good value for less than 600 Pounds.
However, if you can afford to spend 100 Pound more, I strongly advise you to buy the SX500 indoor cycle. It has better pedals (SPD compatible vs toe cage), heavier flywheel (25kg vs 22kg), and quieter resistance (leather-pad vs wool-pad).
To make it easier for you to navigate through this Sportstech SX400 indoor cycle review, I have created the table of content below. Click on the part that you like to learn about, or read the SX400 review all the way to the end to understand all the specifications of the Sportstech spin bike.
- Professional SX400 Cycle Specs
- Sportstech SX400 Monitor
- Speedbike SX400 pedals
- SX400 spin bike flywheel
- Professional SX400 resistance
- Speedbike SX400 drivetrain
- Handlebars and seat
- SX400 price and warranty
- Assembly and shipping
- Sportstech SX400 Indoor cycle pros
- Sportstech SX400 Indoor cycle cons
- Summary of Sportstech SX400 SpeedBike
Professional SX400 Cycle Specs:
- Height: 120cm
- Width: 62cm
- Length: 140cm
- Bike weight: 60 Kilogram
- Max user weight: 150 Kilogram
- Inseam capacity: 5’1″ to 6’6″
- Shipping weight: 65 Kg
- Water bottle holder: Yes, a high-quality bottle also included
- Floor protection levellers: Yes, oversized adjustable
- Required power: 4 AA batteries (included)
Featuring a durable steel frame and a 22kg flywheel, the Sportstech SX400 spin bike can support all spinning workouts. While it is no longer the best spin bike on the market by Sportstech (because the company released newer models), it is still a great value exercise cycle for all riders, including avid outdoor cyclists and pro spinning enthusiasts.
The SX400 exercise bike offers exceptional stability. To begin with, both its bases are equipped with adjustable levellers with oversize rubberized pads to keep your floor unscratched and minimize rocking during intense rides.
In addition to that, the fully assembled trainer weighs 65 kg. This weight, plus the rider’s weight, add to the overall stability. With its sleek design and transport wheels, the Sportstech indoor bike SX400 fits nicely and easily into any space.
SX400 isn’t the lightest or the most compact exercise bike, and this is understandable because it is made to last and to accommodate most riders’ sizes. I suggest you check the dimensions above and see if you have enough floor space for this indoor cycle before buying it.
Being the improved version of the first Sportstech SX200 spin bike, the SX400’s handlebars are fully adjustable. Therefore, almost all riders can set up the bike for a comfortable and safe indoor cycling workout. Additionally, the SX400 frame is double-coated with a durable powder finish, resistant to scratching and corrosion.
Even though it’s rather heavy, once it is assembled, the bike’s transport shouldn’t be a problem. The front base has two durable wheels which facilitate its transportation. Therefore, you won’t have to handle more than half of the bike’s total weight and you can easily store it after each use.
Sportstech SX400 Monitor:
- Sportstech SX400 monitor displays RPM, time, calories, pulse, speed, and distance.
- The monitor is compatible with Sportstech wireless pulse straps for heart rate-based training.
- Sportstech SX400 has a standard Bluetooth connectivity but not ANT/+.
- The SX400 computer runs on 4 AA batteries (included).
- Sportstech SX400 apps are Kinomap and iBiking (not compatible with Zwift, Strava, Peloton, etc). With the compatible apps, it is free to track and save your workouts.
- Full access to the classes on the Kinomap requires a subscription: monthly €10, yearly €80, and lifetime €200.
- You can also connect your device (Android and IOS phones/tablet) to the bike’s monitor via a cable.
- Note: The Sportstech SX400 apps CANNOT change the resistance automatically to simulate the terrain/track.
- The SX400 console is compatible with wireless heart rate chest straps, allowing you to stay within target heart rate training zones as you workout. The strap is not included so you will need to buy the “Sportstech strap” separately.
The LCD monitor is relatively big, which makes it really easy to see and track your spinning workout stats. While this Sportstech spin bike tracks many important spinning feedbacks, it does not track the watts. It also doesn’t have an internal memory or USB port but it does have Bluetooth connectivity.
Therefore, you can connect your device to the bike and save your daily workouts on the compatible spinning Apps. They are free to use for tracking workouts but if you want to access classes and cycling videos, you will need a subscription which is also really affordable. Unlike other spinning apps that cost €300 to €400 a year, the Kinomap lifetime subscription costs €200.
If you are interested in connecting the bike to popular spinning apps such as Zwift, you can always buy a pair of Wahoo sensors or Bluetooth/ANT+ power pedals and enjoy the world of online cycling with pretty much any app in the industry. Search our website to find out more about Wahoo sensors for spin bikes.
SpeedBike SX400 Pedals:
- SX400 q-factor size is not disclosed.
- Sportstech SX400 pedals are the regular toe caged with 9/16″ thread size (no SPD elements).
- The pedal straps are adjustable to fit all shoe sizes.
- Sportstech Professional indoor cycle SX400 is equipped with a three-piece crankset.
Q-factor for this spin bike is not disclosed but since one of the main selling factors of the Speedbike SX400 indoor cycle is its professional ergonomic design, it leads us to believe it has a standard q-factor.
In case you are new to indoor cycling, Q-factor is the horizontal distance between the two pedals. If there is too much distance between the pedals, your feet cannot stay aligned with your knees and hips.
Therefore, after a while, you might feel ankle and knee pain, especially if you have narrow hips. Thankfully, when buying the Sportstech SX400 indoor cycle, you don’t need to worry about this problem. Thanks to the elite cyclists and skilled German engineers whose ideas lead to this awesome design.
Additionally, the SX400 cycle powered by Sportstech is equipped with a very solid 3-piece crankset. It can hold the user out of the saddle position with no problem, as long as they don’t exceed 150 kilograms.
The pedals are also highly durable and perfect for spinning with regular gym shoes but unfortunately, they are not SPD shoes compatible. Therefore, if you want to exercise with clipless cycling shoes for a safer and more comfortable ride, you will need to buy a pair of pedals with the standard 9/11″ thread size.
SX400 Spin Bike Flywheel:
- Sportstech SX400 flywheel weighs 22 kilograms.
- It is machine balanced for even pedalling and extra smooth workout.
- The flywheel is fixed and bidirectional.
The three main elements of a spin bike’s drive system are the crankset, the flywheel, and the transmission. The Sportstech SX400 exercise bike is equipped with a good version of all these elements to make sure you enjoy the exercise. It has a fairly heavy balanced flywheel. It weighs 22 kilograms, which means it can deliver a consistent momentum (360-degree pedal stroke) and sufficient resistance.
This bike’s flywheel is bi-directional. It means in addition to forward, you can pedal backwards with resistance if you want. In fact, some spinning workouts require the riders to alternate reverse pedalling sessions with normal pedalling sessions to help stimulate the muscles in different ways and prevent the plateau.
In general, there are free-wheel and fixed-wheel spin bikes. And the SX400 indoor cycle is fixed-gear which means the pedals and the flywheel turn and stop turning together. So, in case of emergency, if you need to get off the bike, you will have to wait for the flywheel/pedals to completely stop turning.
The freewheel indoor cycles such as the Concept 2 bikeErg allow you to dismount the bike or stop pedalling for a two-second break while the flywheel is still turning. Their drive system works just like a road bike (the wheel and the pedals work independently).
Unfortunately, the free-wheel design is only available on indoor cycling bikes that cost more than 1000 Pounds. Hopefully, in the future, it will be more common and available in cheaper exercise bikes.
Note: When it comes to friction resistance spin bikes, the weight of the flywheel is an important factor. Thankfully the Sportstech Profi indoor cycle SX400 features a heavy flywheel that can mimic the sensation close to riding a road bicycle.
Professional SX400 Resistance:
- Sportstech SX400 resistance is the felt-pad friction (not magnetic).
- SX400 Speedbike is equipped with a resistance sweat protection guard.
- It has the lever push-down emergency stop.
I noticed some Sportstech Professional indoor cycle SX400 reviews across the web claiming this bike is magnetic which is not correct. The Sportstech SX400 cycle features felt-pad friction resistance which has its pros and cons.
The good aspect of friction system is that it offers unlimited resistance. So, no matter your fitness level, you can still get a challenging workout from the SpeedBike SX400 spin bike.
The cons of friction resistance include extra noise and maintenance. Unlike magnetic resistance, the friction brakes come in contact with the flywheel which causes the brake pads to wear out and make a bit of noise.
Therefore, if you live in a small apartment or you know you will be working out early mornings or late evenings, I suggest you buy a magnetic indoor cycle. Their resistance does not wear out and they are silent.
So, you won’t be bothering your partner if he/she is resting and you can also enjoy watching a movie without increasing to the maximum volume.
Note: The SX400 cycle has durable sweat resistance guard to protect the flywheel and to prolong the life of the resistance pads. This protection guard in addition to 2 years home use warranty indicates high-quality resistance-pad materials.
SpeedBike SX400 Drivetrain:
- SX-400 indoor cycle features high-quality belt drivetrain.
- Sportstech indoor cycle SX400 is equipped with a durable belt-box.
- Fixed-gear driven system.
There are mainly two types of transmission for spin bikes, the belt and the chain. This indoor cycling trainer uses a poly-v belt which means unlike chain drive, you won’t have to worry about lubricating it, or about locked links.
It’s also quieter and generates less vibration. So, in terms of noise generated by the drivetrain of the bike, it is safe to say that it’s almost completely silent. On top of that, the poly-v belt used in the SX 400 cycle is high-quality and not easily stretchable.
As for the gear ratio, for every turn of the belt ring, the flywheel turns 3 times which is not much. But thankfully the SX400 has a heavy flywheel to make up for the little gear ratio. So, you will still get good momentum and consistent pedalling motion.
Handlebars and seat:
- There are three handlebar improvements that were missing on the X200 and X100 models;
- SX400 has the ergo-formed, multi-position, soft PVC handlebars.
- It comes with vertical and horizontal handlebar adjustment.
- Sportstech SX400 seat is unisex, breathable and 4-way adjustable.
- The seat and handlebars have rust-resistance durable posts.
- This bike features the lever-adjustment system which is more convenient than the knob-adjustment system.
The Sportstech SX400 indoor cycling bike is equipped with a padded sport seat. In other words, the seat is relatively narrow to reduce friction and prevent bike chafing during long rides.
It does have a layer of padding and works both for men and women. Also, it has a standard design, so in case you want to replace it, compatible exercise bike seats are widely available. The seat can be adjusted up, down, fore/aft. Due to its adjustment span, the SX400 bike can accommodate most users.
The handlebars feature a multi-grip ergonomic design. They are 4-way adjustable to provide a safe and comfortable workout without unnecessary pressure on the riders’ back.
It also has the aero bar to promote the racing posture. The handlebars are in the PVC material to deliver a sure grip and minimise abrasion during long workouts. Note: Both the handlebars and the seat are equipped with lever-system. So, their adjustment is easier compared to cheap knob systems.
SX400 price and warranty:
- Sportstech SX400 price is around 600 Pounds (assembly not included).
- Sportstech SX400 warranty includes:
- 2-Year structural frame, mechanical components, and other parts.
- You can send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. or call them directly at +49 (0)30 220 66 35 20.
Sportstech is one of the good fitness equipment brands that stand with their products. With 2 years part warranty, the company proves that the phrase “high quality durable indoor cycle” is not just an advertisement for them.
It says a lot about how confident the company is about the SpeedBike SX400 cycling bike. Otherwise, they could give it a 90-day warranty like many competitors on the market.
If you ever need a part for the SX400 while it is still under warranty or even after the warranty, you can contact the company via the email provided in the Sportstech SX400 manual.
As for the Sportstech SX400 price, it mainly depends on where you buy the SX400 bike and when you buy it. Currently, the Sportstech SX400 on Amazon UK can be purchased for the lowest price.
Assembly and shipping:
- Sportstech SX400 assembly is fairly easy.
- The bike comes with the assembly tools and clear instructions to follow.
- Sportstech SX400 shipping is free in certain areas.
- This spinning bike comes in one box that weighs around 65 kilograms.
- For the UK market, the English manual with pictures is included with the Speedbike SX400.
Buying the Sportstech SX400 exercise bike, you don’t have to pay for the shipping. As for the installation, it is easy and straightforward.
The bike comes mostly assembled. You will have to install the feet stabilisers, handlebars, monitor, pedals, seat, and the water bottle holder. It shouldn’t take you more than 50 minutes.
When assembling the bike, make sure to follow the Sportstech SX400 indoor cycle instructions carefully. Because the company does not cover the damages caused by the wrong assembly.
Note: SX400 is a heavy spin bike so you might want to consider assembling the bike (especially the base stabilisers) with someone else for help.
Sportstech SX400 Indoor Cycle Pros:
Durable Poly-V belt
Featuring a durable high-quality belt, the Sportstech spinning bike SX400 ensures a quiet ride and transfers more power than other belts, ensuring less maintenance, fewer breakdowns, and improved pedalling technique. Unlike chain-bikes, the Sportstech SX400 SpeedBike drive-mechanism doesn’t require lubing or frequent adjusting.
This Sportstech SpeedBike SX400 on Amazon has a list price of £500 which includes a generous warranty protecting customers’ investments and providing peace of mind for years of cardio workout to come. The frame and parts are under warranty for two years.
- RPM reading, Bluetooth connectivity, and wireless “Sportstech HR strap” compatibility.
- Ergo-formed, multi-position, soft PVC handlebars with vertical and horizontal adjustment.
- This bike can safely hold up to 150 kilograms of user weight.
- Durable caster wheels are attached to the bike frame to easily roll the fitness machine to a different location.
- Oversized stable base-levellers and adjustable frame stabiliser bars.
- 4-way adjustable, breathable and padded sport seat.
- Heavy-duty 22kg balanced flywheel for a consistent momentum and a smooth pedalling motion.
- Heavy-duty crank, able to support any user up to the maximum listed weight, on and off the saddle riding position.
- App compatible fitness monitor for workout tracking.
- Little assembly and maintenace required.
Sportstech SX400 Indoor Cycle Cons:
Sportstech SX400 SpeedBike spinning bike comes with felt-pad friction resistance. There are pros and cons to friction resistance system but overall it is not as good as magnetic resistance technology. Because the friction resistance makes a bit of noise and wears out after a few years of use.
Toe Cage Pedals
Unlike the newer model (SX600 cycle), the Sportstech SX400 spin bike comes with toe cage pedals. Therefore, if you want to exercise with clipless spinning shoes, you will have to buy a pair of SPD pedals separately (they cost around 50 Pounds).
- SX400 Speedbike has limited app compatibility.
- The monitor does not track the watt/power.
Summary of Sportstech SX400 SpeedBike:
Featuring a 22-kilogram flywheel, the Sportstech indoor cycling bike SX400 supports smooth pedalling and can replicate the sensation of uphill/downhill riding. Additionally, the Sportstech spin bike SX400 is fully customisable to fit all user heights safely.
With an easy to use and solid lever adjustment system, you can set up the handlebars and seat ideally for a comfortable exercise. Other highlights of the handlebars include a multi-grip design with accurate pulse sensors.
The Sportstech SX400 spinning bike is a good bargain for home gyms. This model is well-equipped for the £500 sale price. Both the customer reviews and the generous warranty indicate that it’s a sturdy and reliable spin bike.
The Sportstech indoor cycle SX400 should be one of the first-choice spin bikes when magnetic resistance isn’t a priority. But if the magnetic resistance system is your priority, check out the Sportstech SX600 cycle. It is a bit more expensive but it is well worth it.
The Sportstech SX400 indoor cycle is a rugged bike, suitable for withstanding all types of spinning workouts and fitness levels including pro indoor cycling enthusiasts. This Mid-level Sportstech spin bike features the Poly-V belt, heavy-duty balanced flywheel, RPM LCD monitor, Bluetooth and more importantly, it is equipped with fully customizable handlebars and seat for a safe and comfortable spin workout. Additionally, the Sportstech SX400 bike is equipped with all the details to make your spin exercise more convenient. It has a good warranty, tablet holder, transport wheels, base levelers and also a flywheel sweat guard to prolong the life of the bearings and the resistance pads.