Schwinn IC4 Review | What to Know Before You Buy
Mid-price but advance, quiet and sturdy, the Schwinn IC4 spin bike is ideal for shoppers with below 800 budget who look for high standards and generous warranties.
The Schwinn IC4 indoor cycle has one of the best monitors compared to its competitors and the previous model, Schwinn IC3. This IC4 by Schwinn comes with Bluetooth technology for Zwift connectivity, workout tracking, wireless telemetry chest strap connectivity, and RPM reading.
Additionally, it has a stable media shelf to accommodate a magazine, tablet, and mobile phone. It is great for watching spinning workout videos while exercising.
IC4 is equipped with many of Schwinn’s best performance components for home indoor cycles. Most importantly, the Schwinn IC4 cycle has great ergonomics from the SPD pedals to ergonomically designed adjustable handlebars and convenient dual bottle holders.
For a quiet spinning workout, the Schwinn IC4 exercise bike is equipped with a strong 100-level magnetic resistance system. But what is even cooler is that you can see the current resistance level on the bike screen. And to help with comfort and convenient adjustment, it has easy to reach knob with push down emergency brake.
A favorite feature on the Schwinn IC4 is the quality and near to silent operation that I will cover more in-depth in this Schwinn IC4 review down below.
To make the Schwinn IC4 cycle especially effective for all riders and to fit users with different body sizes, it is designed with 4-way handlebar adjustment instead of just 2-way adjustment (up/down). Indoor cycling bikes without horizontal and vertical handlebar adjustment shade in comparison!
For a near to silent spinning workout and low-maintenance, the Schwinn IC4 indoor cycling bike has a belt instead of a chain. So, it doesn’t require oiling or frequent cleaning and adjustment.
As far as the cost is concerned, the current online sale price offers an excellent value, especially considering the Schwinn IC4’s magnetic resistance system, dumbbell holders, and 40-pound flywheel. Buying the Schwinn IC4 exercise bike directly from Amazon the price includes free delivery.
Schwinn Indoor Cycles Comparison
There are 8 different models of Schwinn indoor cycling bikes. Each one of them has certain unique features that is different from the other ones. For instance, the Schwinn IC3 is more affordable but has friction resistance which is outdated and not recommended.
Then you have the Schwinn IC4 which is the most sold and famous indoor bike by Schwinn. It’s not only affordable, but it also has magnetic resistance, Bluetooth, and a good LED monitor that connects to Zwift and Peloton apps.
Aside from these two, there are also the commercial quality Schwinn indoor cycling bikes. They are high quality and feature Carbon-Belt Transmission but they also cost twice and even three times the price of the IC4. To help you better understand the differences between the Schwinn indoor bikes, I created the table below. Hopefully this will make it easier for you to make the right decision when buying a Schwinn indoor bike.
|Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycle||Overpriced||Distance, Time, Calories, not backlit||Cage-integrated pedals||Fixed||Friction, Chain Transmission||None|
|Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycle||Overpriced||RPM, heart rate, distance, time, calories, not backlit||SPD clipless and cage||Fixed||Friction, Poly-V Belt Transmission||None|
|Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycle||Great Value||Bluetooth, Resistance, RPM, distance, time, HR, Calories||SPD clipless and cage||Fixed||Magnetic, Poly-V Belt Transmission||Bluetooth & Dumbbell holder|
|AC Sport Indoor Cycling Bike w/ Chain Drive||Overpriced||Mpower Echelon2 and Cadence Pro Compatible (not included)||SPD clipless and cage||Fixed||Magnetic, Chain Transmission||Aluminum frame|
|AC Sport Indoor Cycling Bike w/ Carbon Drive||Overpriced||Mpower Echelon2 and Cadence Pro Compatible (not included)||SPD clipless and cage||Fixed||Magnetic, Carbon Belt Transmission||Aluminum frame & Toothed Transmission|
|Schwinn AC Performance Plus w/ Chin Drive||Overpriced||MPower Echelon Compatible (not included)||SPD clipless and cage||Free (Smart Release System)||Magnetic, Chain Transmission||Aluminum frame|
|Schwinn AC Performance Plus w/ Carbon Drive||Overpriced||MPower Echelon Compatible (not included)||SPD clipless and cage||Free (Smart Release System)||Magnetic, Carbon Belt Transmission||Aluminum frame & Toothed Transmission|
|Schwinn AC Power w/ Carbon Drive||Good Value||MPower Echelon 2G Comes Included||SPD clipless and cage||Free (Smart Release System)||Magnetic, Carbon Belt Transmission||Aluminum frame & Toothed Transmission|
Schwinn IC4 Alternatives
This is where I compare the Schwinn IC4 spin bike with other available indoor bikes within the same price range and tell if you if the IC4 is a good value for the money or not. Based on the facts (brand, features, durability, ergonomic design, and price), the IC4 Schwinn indoor cycling bike is an excellent value product for now (April 2022).
So, rest assured you are buying one of the best value spin bikes on the market but if you want to own an indoor bike that has an HD monitor and connects to iFit for online spinning classes, I recommend you to check out the ProForm Studio Pro 10. It is a durable and comfortable spin bike with electronic magnetic resistance system. For $300 cheaper than IC4, I would say it is a great bargain. It doesn’t have clipless pedals or Bluetooth technology, but it does come with 1-free month of iFit membership.
While at it, I also highly recommend you to check out the Bowflex C7 indoor cycle. Although its monitor is better than the Schwinn IC4, it is 3-inch smaller than the ProForm Studio Bike. But what it does have superior to ProForm is the ability to connect with third-party applications like Zwift, Peloton, Netflix, etc. Plus, it is often only $100 more expensive than IC4 which I consider a great purchase.
|Schwinn IC4||At $799 Schwinn IC4 is literally the best choice on the market.||LED with Bluetooth, RPM, Speed, and Resistance Readings.||Tablet and dumbbell holders plus magnetic resistance||Zwift, Peloton, and JRNY|
|ProForm Studio||I Would recommend it if you are okay to stick with iFit and don’t care about the lack of handlebar adjustment or tablet holder.||10″ Touch with RPM, Speed, and resistance readings but only works with iFit.||No Tablet holder but has 22-level of electronic magnetic resistance.||iFit|
|Bowflex C7||C7 by Bowflex is a good alternative to Schwinn IC4 if you can afford to spend the extra $200.||7″ Touch with WiFi, Bluetooth, RPM, Speed, and Resistance Readings.||Tablet and dumbbell holders plus magnetic resistance||Zwift, Peloton, and JRNY|
|Sole SB900||Wouldn’t say the Sole SB900 a great alternative to Schwinn IC4 because there is no Bluetooth.||No-Backlit with RPM and Speed Readings but no Bluetooth or resistance readings.||Tablet holder and Magnetic resistance||None|
To make it easy for you to navigate through our Schwinn IC4 exercise bike review, I put together the table of content below. So, you can find the info you are looking for easily. Or, you can read the Schwinn IC4 review thoroughly to better understand what you are paying. I will try to keep it short and informative.
- Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycle specs
- IC4 Schwinn monitor
- Pedals and Q-factor
- Schwinn IC4 flywheel
- IC4 bike resistance
- Drive system
- Handlebars and seat
- IC4 price and warranty
- Shipping and assembly
- Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycling Bike pros
- Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycling Bike cons
- Final word on Schwinn IC4 indoor bike
Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycle Specs:
- Height: 50.8″
- Width: 21.2″
- Length: 48.7″
- Bike Weight: 106 Pounds
- Max User Weight: 330 Pounds
- Inseam Capacity: 29″ to 39″
- Shipping Weight: 121 Pounds
- Transport Wheels: Yes
- Adjustment Base Levelers: Yes, 4
- Water Bottle Holder: Yes, dual
- Media Shelf: Yes included
- Power Requirement: Wall adapter
Is this Schwinn spin bike sized for you? One key spec for the Schwinn IC4 is the 4-way adjustment. It makes the bike ideal for novices and intermediate-level trainees of short, average to taller heights.
Especially, people who are significantly taller or shorter than average would appreciate the Schwinn IC4’s adjustable 29″ to 39″ inseam capacity.
As for weight capacity, it exceeds my expectations by 30 pounds. Designed for home use, the IC4 can support up to 330 pounds of user weight which indicates the quality and durability of the bike. Schwinn managed to keep the bike at a lightweight, yet durable structure so you can easily move it around.
This Schwinn exercise bike comes with a fitness monitor. So, it needs a source of electricity to display the stats on the LCD monitor. The monitor requires power plugin so if you want to see stats, you need to keep the bike attached to a wall socket.
So, you don’t have the freedom to place the bike anywhere in the house if you want the monitor to turn on. For easy transportation and to keep the bike stable and to protect your floor to some extent, the Schwinn IC4 stationary bike comes with durable wheels and adjustable base levelers.
IC4 Schwinn Monitor:
- The Schwinn IC4 comes with a backlit monitor to track your progress.
- It requires to be plugged into electricity and comes with an adapter.
- IC4’s LCD monitor displays your current resistance level, time, speed, calories, and pulse, also measures your cadence using the RPM function on the monitor.
- You can set up the monitor for certain calorie and time goals. It also includes a recovery program.
- This monitor is compatible with the wireless Bluetooth chest straps to track your heart rate (chest strap is also included).
- IC4’s monitor has a universal Bluetooth connectivity which allows connectivity to fitness apps such as Zwift.
- It also has a USB port to allow charging your device (phone, tablet, etc). You can’t use the USB port to download/upload daily workouts to the computer.
- IC4 doesn’t have, ANT/+, internal memory, or the watt/power tracking capability.
Unlike the older models of Schwinn spin bikes, the IC4 indoor cycling bike comes with a backlit computer. It is probably one of the best spin bike monitors in its price class that provides most of your indoor cycling workout feedbacks and keeps you aware of your performance.
There are five aspects of IC4’s monitor that stand out and very hard to find for this price. They include; displaying current resistance level, the RPM reading, Bluetooth technology, backlit feature, and USB charging port. But what I love the most about Schwinn IC4’s computer is its universal Bluetooth connectivity.
Unlike most spin bikes that have Bluetooth but don’t connect to major spinning apps such as Zwift, the Schwinn IC4 connects to pretty much all the spinning apps. It is capable of sending your stats (RPM, HR, etc) to the cycling apps so that you can compete with other cyclists online and have a more fun spinning workout.
The RPM (Revolution Per Minute) tells you how fast you pedal on certain resistance levels. It is useful, especially if you want to follow spinning workout videos as they instruct you to do certain RPM throughout the exercise. Here is another good feature; For most spin bikes with dial/knob adjustment, the resistance level is not displayed so you just have to guess. But with the IC4 Schwinn indoor cycle, you can track your resistance level on the screen.
As for the heart rate, it is an important metric that allows you to understand which workout zones you are on. For instance, if your HR is 120-150 bpm (beat per minute), you know you are in fat-burning mode. Luckily, a Bluetooth wireless chest strap is included with the Schwinn IC4. So, you can save $50 and be able to track your HR accurately.
The downsides to this bike’s monitor are the lack of ANT/+ technology and internal memory. It basically means that you can not save your daily progress on the monitor and you can’t connect the bike to devices that only have ANT/+ technology. Also, this Schwinn indoor bike lacks in watt tracking (very common for this price range) so you can’t see how much power is produced on each pedal stroke.
But there is nothing to worry about because if you are interested to save your daily progress, you can still connect the bike to your Bluetooth devices (phone, computer, etc) and download one of the many compatible spinning apps.
Pedals and Q-factor:
- Schwinn IC4 Q factor is 190 mm.
- Schwinn IC4 pedals are 9/16″ dual-sided aluminum alloy SPD.
- The dual-sided pedals are compatible with clipless cycling shoes and will also accommodate traditional athletic shoes.
- It has a three-piece crank-arm system.
The Schwinn IC4 spin bike features a standard q factor that is acceptable even by pro cyclists. In case you are new to indoor cycling, the q factor is one of the most important features to look for when buying spin bikes.
It is the distance between the pedals. The less distance, the better it is. Wide q factors tend to keep your feet wider than your knees and hips. So, three joints on your lower body (hips, knees, ankles) won’t be aligned during the exercise which can cause injuries.
Thankfully, you don’t need to worry about this problem when buying the Schwinn IC4 indoor cycle because this bike has a safe and biomechanically correct q-factor size.
As far as the pedals are concerned, IC4 by Schwinn Fitness is SPD spinning shoes compatible. Meaning you don’t need to spend another $50 to buy pedals if you want to ride with specific cycling shoes for a safer and more efficient workout. The rider has the option to use regular gym shoes or clip-less spinning shoes.
The crankarms are durable and support all spinning workouts including out of the saddle position. And the bearings are high-quality to prevent clicking noise after a couple of months of use.
Schwinn IC4 Flywheel:
- This Schwinn IC indoor bike comes with a front-drive flywheel design which means the bearings, magnets, and flywheel are all in the sweat zone.
- But to make sure the sweat doesn’t reach these components and to minimizing maintenance work, it has a sweat guard on the flywheel.
- Schwinn IC4 spin bike flywheel is 40 pounds for a smooth consistent pedal stroke.
- It has a flywheel is also perimeter-weighted which makes the ride smoother.
- Schwinn IC4 exercise bike has a fixed-wheel mechanism. So, it is bidirectional.
Compared to several other magnetic spin bikes on the market, the Schwinn IC4 exercise bike has a heavier flywheel. Which helps to provide a smooth and consistent pedal motion.
It has a flywheel protection guard that helps to protect the flywheel, front bearings, and the resistance system against sweat and other elements
Previously in this Schwinn IC4 exercise bike review, I mentioned this bike is fixed-wheel. What it means is that the flywheel and the crank-arms move and stop together. The advantage of this design is that you can also pedal reverse to engage different muscle groups.
The disadvantage is that if you need to get off the bike in case of an emergency, you will have to wait until the flywheel stops turning. Also, if you need to take a 5-second break while on the bike, you will have to stop the bike completely.
There are some expensive spin bikes that feature a freewheel smart release system. They operate just like an outdoor bicycle. Meaning even after you stop pedaling (because of muscle cramping, or need to stop pedaling for a few seconds), the flywheel keeps turning. Unfortunately, this technology is available only on spin bikes that are $1000+.
IC4 Bike Resistance:
- Schwinn IC4 is equipped with manual magnetic resistance technology. Not “electromagnetic”.
- It is manually adjustable via dial/knob and can provide challenging fast cardio as well as a moderate strength workout.
- The resistance levels are not marked on the knob but it is displayed on IC4’s monitor.
- Push down brake brings the bike to an immediate stop.
The Schwinn indoor cycle IC4 features the top of the line magnetic resistance system that provides a silent operation. Unlike friction resistance, the magnetic system requires little to no maintenance.
And since it does not come in contact with the flywheel, as the friction resistance does, it makes zero noise. So, you can enjoy cycling at any time of the day or night without bothering your neighbors or family.
The Schwinn IC4 indoor cycle’s resistance is not numbered/marked on the knob/dial. But it is shown on the monitor so you don’t need to guess your current resistance or what was your last resistance.
This spin bike’s resistance is enough to provide a suitable maximum, average, and minimum force for all fitness levels. Note: Schwinn IC4 is equipped with the emergency push-down brake which can be used to stop the flywheel at any time during workouts.
Note: IC4 resistance is not “electromagnetic”. So, cycling apps like Zwift can not control the resistance automatically. Basically what it means is that the resistance remains the same (unless you manually change) when you reach and uphill or downhill on the spinning apps.
Belt Drive System:
- Schwinn IC4 features a belt-driven mechanism to offer less maintenance and silent pedaling.
- IC4 has a front-drive design with a durable belt cover and flywheel guard.
- The information on the gear ratio is not disclosed.
- Two dumbbells included for upper body workouts.
This Schwinn magnetic indoor cycle features a belt transmission that offers less maintenance and silent pedaling on every stroke. Unlike chain-driven exercise bikes, it does not require oiling, cleaning or frequent adjustment.
Another feature that I like about the Schwinn IC4 indoor exercise bike is the durable belt cover and flywheel protection design. The flywheel, belt, magnets, and more importantly the bearings are all kept away from the sweat zone. So, there is less to clean and maintain after each spinning workout.
When buying the Schwinn IC4 on Amazon, you will receive two 3-pound dumbbells. They stay below the handlebars during the workout so you can easily pick them up and do upper body exercises. Some online spinning classes that you might follow require using dumbbells.
Handlebars and seat:
- Schwinn Fitness IC4 handlebars are 4-way adjustable (vertically and horizontally).
- The PVC ergonomic handlebar allows multiple spinning positions.
- IC4 seat is also 4-way adjustable, unisex and padded so your workout can remain comfortable when doing longer spinning sessions.
- The Schwinn IC4 indoor cycle seat and handlebar posts are made of durable steel but not lightweight aluminum materials.
- Handlebars provide several grip positions for variety and extra comfortable rides.
- IC4 spin bike is equipped with the tablet holder to watch a video or read a book.
- There are convenient dual water bottle holders built on the handlebars to help you stay hydrated.
- Handlebars and seat use levers instead of knobs which is easier to tighten and loosen, plus they last longer.
Let’s start with the materials of posts: The Schwinn IC4 features steel seat and handlebar posts. They are durable but heavy, therefore adjustment is not as easy as it is with aluminum safety posts. Schwinn cut the corner on this part of the bike and I hope in the future they change their mind because, for this price, posts should be high-grade lightweight aluminum.
But other than the materials of the posts everything else is pretty awesome. This Schwinn spin cycle is completely customizable for most riders (recommended user heights in the “Specs” paragraph). IC4 features a patented design that ensures the posts remain in place while allowing you to adjust the fore/aft.
The padded and non-slip multi-grip handles can adapt to pretty much all the cycling positions except for the drop grips. It would have been great if they added the racing style drop handlebars. But it is not a big deal because you can purchase them separately and install them if that’s something you like.
The seat is 4 way adjustable with a simple twist of a lever to ensure the perfect fit. So, your workout can remain comfortable during longer spinning sessions. But even more importantly, the Schwinn IC4 indoor cycling bike is equipped with a nice tablet holder and convenient bottle holders.
IC4 Price and warranty:
- Schwinn IC4 price is 750-1000 depending on the offers.
- IC4 home use warranty includes:
- Bike frame: 10 Years
- Mechanical and electric parts: 3 Years
- Other parts: 12 Months
- Labor warranty: 1 Year
- To make your warranty valid and active or claim your warranty, you can contact the Schwinn/Nautilus customer service at (800) 605-3369 or visit the “www.nautilus.com/warranty” to register your Schwinn IC4.
- Extra Schwinn Protection Plan can be purchased for:
- $79 to extend parts and labor coverage to 3 years
- $109 to extend parts and labor coverage to 5 years.
- The Schwinn protection plan is eligible for purchase in the United States of America.
- To add a protection plan for Schwinn IC4, contact the (800) 924-7451, after purchasing the bike.
- If you ever need assistance regarding your protection contract, call the Administrator toll free at 1-888-257-9258.
- Be sure to keep the contract document and your contract purchase receipt together, as you will need them to verify your coverage in event of a
Unless you find the Schwinn IC4 discounted, the price is not less than 800. Sometimes the Schwinn Fitness might put the IC4 magnetic cycle on offer.
But it does not happen too often as this cycle is considered well-priced for its features and quality. As for the warranty, it is pretty impressive compared to competitors like Sunny Health and Fitness.
All in all, the IC4 cycle by Schwinn has better warranty terms compared to most bikes from other brands and it also has two affordable protection plans. Keep in mind that the warranty and the protection plans only cover this bike if it is used for personal use (not commercial).
Shipping and Assembly:
- The Schwinn IC4 manual is included with the package (English and Clear).
- The Schwinn IC4 assembly is fairly easy.
- Assembly tools are included with the Schwinn IC4.
- IC4 indoor cycle shipping is free in the United States.
According to the company and the consumers, the Schwinn IC4 indoor commercial cycle takes as long to unpack as to assemble. This cycle comes largely pre-assembled.
However, you would still need to attach the pedals, monitor, dumbbell holders, front and rear stabilizer bars, handlebars, and seat posts. This bike comes in one box which means you might need to open the box outside and bring it inside in small pieces. The Schwinn IC4 manual and assembly tools are all included in the shipping box.
Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycling Bike Pros:
Bluetooth and Apps:
Schwinn IC4 is equipped with an RPM monitor and has a universal Bluetooth that allows connecting to Zwift and many other popular cycling apps. Therefore, the riders can compete with other cyclists for an entertaining workout and save their daily workout progress.
- Sturdy steel frame, capable of supporting users up to 330 pounds.
- A built-in wireless pulse receiver that works with the included chest strap to monitor heart rate.
- A USB port for device charging.
- Backlit LCD for easy visibility of your spinning stats in low-light conditions.
- Frame bases with adjustable, rubberized levelers to eliminate shaking for a smoother ride.
- Durable transport wheels for easy portability.
- Tablet holder to place your device and stream your favorite cycle video all while keeping track of your fitness with the LCD monitor.
- Low-friction 4-way adjustable narrow racing style cushioned seat.
- LCD monitor measures time, speed, distance, calories burned, rpm, pulse and scan.
- Frictionless magnetic resistance with 100 resistance settings.
- Perimeter-weighted 40 pounds flywheel for a smooth pedaling motion and solid momentum.
- Durable three-piece crank made for spin workouts.
- Dual-sided pedals, with toe cages and SPD clips to prevent foot slippage at increased levels of speed and intensity.
- A smooth and quiet belt-driven system, good for apartment use.
- Easy to reach built-in dual water bottle holders included.
- Super easy to assemble and double weights included for upper body workout.
Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycling Bike Cons:
The monitor included with IC4 doesn’t track the rider’s watt/power output so you can’t see how much power you produce throughout the exercise and on each pedal stroke.
- Seat and handlebar posts are steel instead of aluminum which makes them heavier and more difficult to adjust.
- Handlebars lack in drop racing style grips and armrests, not a dealbreaker but would have been good to include those.
- The seat is hard and you might need to either add a seat cushion or even better, buy a comfortable spin bike seat replacement.
Last Word on Schwinn IC4 Indoor Bike:
Equipped with a heavy-duty steel frame system with a 40lbs perimeter-weighted flywheel and magnetic resistance system, the Schwinn IC4 indoor bike allows you to swiftly switch between easier and more challenging exercises with several resistance settings.
The adjustable resistance allows you to choose between high-cadence cycling sessions or bump up the resistance and work up your strength. This Schwinn IC4 indoor cycle is designed with the combination of a quiet belt drive system with micro-adjustable magnetic resistance technology to help you reach your training goals and shed the weight without disturbing your family.
On top of that, the Schwinn IC4 spin bike is equipped with a Bluetooth LCD monitor that tracks the time, speed, RPM, HR, and distance, and calories to help you keep track of your performance and monitor your progress. This bike also has a comfortable, fully-adjustable seat that easily moves up/down fore/aft to fit users with different body sizes.
A few other notable features include two convenient bottle holders built on the handlebars, racing style handlebars, and a tablet holder that allows you to follow along with your favorite fitness videos and place your mobile device securely on the device holder.
Overall the Schwinn IC4 is an excellent indoor cycling bike built for all types of spinning workouts and we recommend it for the novice as well as serious cyclists. Lastly, in the UK this bike is labeled Schwinn IC8. The names are different, but the IC4 and the Schwinn IC8 indoor cycle are identical in every part.
The Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycling bike is a mid-priced cardio fitness machine intended for people who enjoy the spin studios but prefer to workout in the comfort of their homes. IC4 Schwinn indoor bike supports all fitness levels from fast high-cadence spinning to high-intensity muscle toning spinning workouts. This sturdy bike has a 40-pound flywheel with manually magnetic resistance adjustment; tension is controlled with a knob. The handlebars are adjustable, the pedals are SPD and the resistance level is displayed on the screen. It has certain pros and cons but considering the features and other available options on the market, it is a good value spin bike for now (November 2021).