Nordictrack S22i Review | What I think after 2 years
The S22i Studio Cycle with 22” HD screen and iFit Coach membership is NordicTrack’s competitive response to the Peloton bike. And to beat the competition, the NordicTrack lower their price (remarkably) and added some awesome features that you can only find on S22i spin bike.
NordicTrack S22i indoor bike is truly designed to bring home the experience of cycling on the road while providing the rider with the energizing atmosphere of a spin bike studio to make the spinning more than just a simple workout.
It is really built to clear your mind and give you a chance to detox any negative energy without having to attend a spinning class or get bored at home. You can benefit from pre-recorded and live indoor cycling classes by top-notch iFit Coach trainers and get motivated seeing other riders doing the same class.
But I think what really stands out between this indoor bike and other bikes I tried is the smart adjustment technology. Surprisingly for its mid-level price, the S22i automatically adjusts incline and resistance to make sure you are following the instructor when watching a spinning class on iFit.
So, basically, when the instructor (on iFit app) adds resistance or a certain degree of incline to replicate uphill, the resistance and incline systems on my Nordictrack S22i automatically adjust accordingly.
This often keeps me from getting bored and at the same time, I can focus on my form, pedaling, and cadence instead of making manual adjustments, especially when I follow those classes that iFit instructor changes resistance frequently.
There are several things that I really admire about my Nordictrack S22i indoor cycle such as its high-resolution responsive touchscreen, extremely heavy metal, and sturdy structure that I find way more stable during intense rides compared to some cheaper indoor bikes like those from Sunny Health Fitness.
But those are also a few things that I really don’t like about NordicTrack S22i indoor cycling bike which I will go through them one by one down below in this review. But before we get to the actual review, here is my comparison of Nordictrack indoor bikes.
Nordictrack Studio Cycles Comparison
|Name||NordicTrack S27i Studio Cycle||NordicTrack S22i Studio Cycle||NordicTrack S15i Studio Cycle|
|Model||New Model||New Model||New Model|
|Screen||27 Inches||22 Inches||14 Inches HD|
|Pedals||SPD and Cage||Cage Only||Cage Only|
|Vertical Adjustment||Gas-assisted handlebar adjustment||Full-manual handlebar adjustment||Full-manual handlebar adjustment|
|Dumbbell holder||Behind the seat (less convenient)||On the handlebars (more convenient)||On the handlebars (more convenient)|
|Graphics||Improved HD with processor cooling||Improved HD with processor cooling||HD|
|Ports||USB Charging and HDMI Ports||USB Charging and HDMI Ports||None|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth Headphone Connectivity||Bluetooth Headphone Connectivity||None|
|Resistance||24 Electronic Magnetic Resistance Levels||24 Electronic Magnetic Resistance Levels||22 Electronic Magnetic Resistance Levels|
|Rotating||360° Rotating||360° Rotating||360° Rotating|
|Bit Fit||5’0” - 6’10” / 152.4 cm - 208.3 cm||5’0” - 6’10” / 152.4 cm - 208.3 cm||5’0” - 6’10” / 152.4 cm - 208.3 cm|
|Footprint||57” L x 28” W x 65” H||61” L x 22” W x 58”||55.75” L x 22” W x 61” H|
|iFit||30-Day iFIT Trial Included||30-Day iFIT Trial Included||30-Day iFIT Trial Included|
|Old Models||No Bluetooth, Lower quality speaker, no SPD pedals, lower resolution screens, no processor cooling, noisy incline/decline system, no titling or rotating screen||No Bluetooth, Lower quality speaker, no SPD pedals, lower resolution screens, no processor cooling, noisy incline/decline system, no titling or rotating screen||Lower resolution screens, noisy incline/decline system, no titling or rotating screen|
|My Verdict||Better and less expensive than Peloton Plus and Bowflex Velocore. It has smart electronic magnetic resistance (competitors come with simple manual magnetic resistance) and smart electronic incline/decline system (competitors don't have incline/decline system). iFit Coach Individual costs $150 per year while Echelon and Peloton cost $400. Its screen is also 6-inch bigger than competitors||Better and less expensive than Peloton and Echelon. It has smart electronic magnetic resistance (competitors come with simple manual magnetic resistance) and smart electronic incline/decline system (competitors don't have incline/decline system). iFit Coach Individual costs $150 per year while "Full Access Echelon and Peloton" cost $400||Better and less expensive than Peloton and Echelon. It has smart electronic magnetic resistance (competitors come with simple manual magnetic resistance) and smart electronic incline/decline system (competitors don't have incline/decline system). iFit Coach Individual costs $150 per year while "Full Access Echelon and Peloton" cost $400|
|Cheaper Alternative||Studio Bike Pro 22"||Studio Bike Pro 22"||Studio Bike Pro 10"|
Currently, Nordictrack has 3 models of Commercial Studio Cycles. I have done an in-depth comparison of both models. If you are interested to find out all the differences between these three models, read our Nordictrack Studio Cycles comparison.
Quickly, I am going to give over a few major differences between the 3 models here. Each model comes with a different screen size but other than that, they are all the same indoor bikes. The cheapest Nordictrack bike is referred to as Nordictrack S15i because it has a 15-inch screen. The newest version which has a few good improvements such as pivoting screen and a little quieter incline system costs around $1300.
Then there is the Nordictrack S22i which has a 22-inch screen. It’s a little more expensive than the S15i but it’s worth it. Its display is higher resolution and I see the picture more clearly. I also like it when I am off the bike following iFit classes. I bought mine for $1799 but now it’s now on offer and available for around $1599.
The most recent model by Nordictrack is the S27i which has a 27-inch high-resolution screen. This model has several improvements so it’s not just a bigger screen. It has a “gas-assisted handlebar adjustment system” which I wish S22i had it because it’s pretty heavy and difficult to hold a heavy handlebar with a 22-in screen while doing bike fit. Unlike other models that come with cage pedals, it has dual-sided clipless and cage pedals. It also has a better sound system. But even more importantly it’s screen titles up/down as well as pivoting right and left.
For on-the-bike spinning classes, I don’t mind the 22-inch screen because it’s compact but for off-the-bike classes like Yoga, weight, stretching, and other iFit classes, the 27-inch screen with HD graphics and processor cooling is just perfect. As for the price, the Nordictrack S27i is the most expensive Nordictrack Studio Cycle at $2499. But I honestly think it’s worth it.
However, if money is your top priority, I recommend you to check out the NordicTrack S15i bike. It is less than $1400 and has everything the S22i NordicTrack comes with, except a smaller monitor. No matter which one you choose, here is a list of accessories for Nordictrack Bikes that would change your experience of indoor cycling.
Nordictrack S22i Bike Alternatives
I have had the NordicTrack S22i commercial indoor bike for years and I would buy it again anytime. So, I wouldn’t really look for an alternative because I think I get more value from Noridctrack S22i than any competitor on the market. Even when I compared the Nordictrack S22i with Peloton Bike+, my choice was and still is the S22i. And don’t even get me started on the Peloton Bike Original because that model has no chance against the S22i.
However, there are a few indoor cycling bikes within the same price range as Nordictrack S22i that you might want to look at as alternatives. One of the Nordictrack S22i alternative bikes is the world-known Peloton Bike+ which is often $1000 more expensive than S22i and it doesn’t even have an incline/decline system. But even worse, the Peloton app doesn’t have an affordable “all access membership” like Nordictrack. You either pay $450 per year or don’t get access to its content.
The next spin bike that I think can be considered a Nordictrack S22i alternative is the ProForm Studio Bike Pro. Let me be honest and straightforward, Studio Bike Pro is not as good as S22i and doesn’t even have many of its features like a cooling fan, incline, and decline system but at least it’s always around $500 less expensive. So, I think even though it’s not at good as Nordictrack S22i, it’s still a good value alternative that has a nice 22″ touchscreen, smart magnetic resistance, and full iFit compatibility.
Or as an alternative to the Nordictrack S22i studio bike, you can choose the Echelon EX7s. I tried it, it has a smooth drive system, but it is really outdated compared to Nordictrack. Although it has an electronic magnetic resistance like the Nordictrack S22i, it doesn’t have an incline system or even a cooling fan. Plus, it costs $400 more than the current price of the Nordictrack S22i bike. That said, if you like the indoor cycling content on the Echelon app, you might want to consider an Echelon bike instead.
Lastly, as an alternative to Nordictrack S22i, I would recommend the Bowflex Velocore 22. It’s a bit more expensive and doesn’t have an incline system, but it has right and left pivoting technology to mimic a little bit of road cycling experience. I found the learning technology a little weird and unnatural but I used it only once so I think once you get used to it, you might actually enjoy it.
|Peloton Bike +||Overpriced||360 Rotatable 22-inch||Automatic magnetic||No||No|
|Proform Studio Pro||Good Value||360 Rotatable 22-inch||Automatic magnetic||No||No|
|Bowflex Velocore||Overpriced||22-inch fixed||Manual magnetic||No||No|
|Echelon Ex-7S||Overpriced||22-inch – Flips up & down||Automatic magnetic||No||No|
To help you easily navigate through our ultimate NordicTrack S22i review, I have created the table content below.
- NordicTrack S22i bike specification
- S22i bike computer
- iFit Membership
- Pedals and Q-factor
- Studio cycle S22i flywheel
- S22i resistance, incline/decline
- Commercial S22i cycle drivetrain
- Handlebars and seat
- Value for money and warranty
- Shipping and assembly
- Last Word on Commercial S22i Studio Cycle
NordicTrack S22i Bike Specification:
- Height: 54.8″
- Width: 21.9″
- Length: 55″
- Bike Weight: 170 Pound
- Max User Weight: 350 Pound
- Inseam Capacity: 27″ to 40″
- Shipping Weight: 205 Pounds
- Transport Wheels: Yes
- Base Adjustment Levelers: Yes
- Water Bottle Holder: Yes
- Power Requirement: Power Plugs (no batteries needed)
- There is an On/Off button for this bike so you don’t need to unplug it to power it off. It can be found near where the power cord enters the base of the bike.
The weight capacity for the NordicTrack S22i exercise bike is set to 350 pounds which indicates the quality and it is going to be just fine for most users. But to give you 100% assurance of the durability, the company offers a lifetime warranty on the frame.
The NordicTrack S22i indoor cycling bike is engineered and produced with commercial-gauge welded steel and enhanced corrosion resistance construction to last.
Thanks to its adjustable feet levelers, the S22i studio bike remains stable and lets you work out as intensely as you want. You can adjust the levelers to prevent the bike from rocking on uneven or rigged floor surfaces.
With two generously huge transport wheels, the Studio S22i is designed to move easily. Unlike most spin bikes with little cheap transport wheels that often break or scratch the floor during transportation, the S22i cycle by NordicTrack has top-of-the-line wheels for easy and safe transportation.
NordicTrack S22i spin bike weighs more than most spin bikes which means it is not really convenient to move it around the house. Therefore, I suggest you assemble the bike where you actually want to use it.
S22i Bike Computer:
- NordicTrack Studio S22i exercise bike monitor runs on AC power (plugs into the outlet, no batteries needed).
- It has an HD 22″ touch-screen monitor.
- The computer features Swivel design (it pivots 360º to either direction, as well as tilts up and down)
- The monitor includes a USB to charge devices and an HDMI port to connect the bike to a bigger screen (TV).
- It has an Auxiliary port so you can listen to the virtual instructors via your headphones.
- Below the monitor, there is a cooling fan with adjustable speed for summer rides.
- The monitor on the S22i by NordicTrack also has two small speakers.
- Studio bike S22i monitor is iFit enabled.
- This NordicTrack exercise bike has WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity.
- There are no built-in workouts on board but you can manually set up workout goals to exercise without iFit subscription.
- NordicTrack S22i is compatible with Bluetooth heart rate straps (straps is not included).
- S22i Commercial Studio bike tracks your RPM, Watt, Calories, Heart Rate, Distance, Speed and time.
- You can also track the maximum and average for the above stats.
- Resistance can be changed via the touchscreen or controls on the handlebars.
- S22i’s monitor works exclusively with the iFit app. (You can not use the screen with the Zwift app, or surf the web, watch Netflix, or Youtube, unless jailbroken).
- Note: The monitor does not have internal memory, built-in preset programs or ANT/+ connectivity.
The S22i bike runs on AC power which means you don’t have to spend extra on batteries or worry about charging them. The disadvantage is that you can not ride the bike unless there is an electrical outlet socket available.
Featuring a 22″ large HD touchscreen display makes it easy to go about your workouts and see exactly what’s going on no matter your workout intensity or speed. Thanks to the full-color screen, you don’t have to bother your partner keeping the light on always to see the stats during early morning or late evening workouts.
On top of that, the monitor pivots 360-degree and can be tilt up or down. It means if you are shorter or taller than average, you can still adjust the angle of the monitor for a perfect view.
Additionally, the NordicTrack S22i indoor cycling bike has a swivel design pivoting screen. It allows you to turn the screen to the right and left directions. This means when you are off the bike to use the dumbbells, you will be able to turn the monitor and keep watching iFit dumbbell upper body workouts.
There are two small speakers built into the monitor but there is also an auxiliary port so you can connect a better sound system to listen to the iFit spin class workouts.
Additionally, the S22i NordicTrack also has an HDMI port so you can connect your TV or computer to follow the spin classes on a larger screen. As you read earlier in this NordicTrack S22i review, this bike is Bluetooth and WiFi-enabled so you can connect the bike to the iFit app and the heart rate straps or wireless headphones.
But it does not connect to Zwift and other cycling apps (unless jailbroken). You also can not use the monitor to interact on social media platforms. There are also no built-in workouts on the board. But that doesn’t mean you can’t ride the bike without using the iFit. The monitor allows you to manually create a fitness goal which is great for when your free subscription ends and you don’t want to renew.
The S22i indoor bike by NordicTrack features smart electromagnetic resistance which means the iFit workouts will automatically change the resistance.
It is an awesome feature that simulates the terrain that you pick to ride on iFit. Going downhill and uphill the resistance will vary to make it more real and enjoyable for you.
Last but not least, the Commercial S22i is iFit enabled (not iFit compatible). It means, unlike compatible equipment, you don’t need to connect a device (tablet, phone, etc) to follow an iFit workout. All the iFit workouts are right there on the monitor without the need for any device. All you need is a WiFi connection.
One of the downsides to this top-notch NordicTrack spin bike is that it doesn’t have preset programs or internal memory. So, when your free subscription ends, you can no longer have access to cool spinning videos/programs and can’t save your daily progress unless you renew the subscription.
- 1-Month Free iFit Coach Family membership is included with the Nordic-Track Studio cycle.
- With iFit you can do live interactive training (the coach can adjust your bike’s resistance, incline, and decline).
- You can create your own workouts (specific miles, time, RPM, etc)
- iFit membership allows you to access thousands of spinning class and road cycling workouts.
- With iFit you get the added benefit of personalized coaching that would normally cost much more in the classes.
- Some of the class and personalized workouts include on and off-the-bike dumbbell workout (full body cross-training).
- iFit allows you to save and share your daily workouts.
- iFit also allows you to pick the terrain that you normally ride with your outdoor bike (via Google Map).
- And it automatically changes the resistance to simulate the terrain that you ride.
- From Google Map, you can choose the Satellite view or the Terrain view.
- You will be able to use the bike without the iFit membership but you won’t have access to iFit classes and can’t save daily workouts.
- Important Note: After 1 month, the subscription auto-renews with a fee ($39) unless you unsubscribe or end the benefits.
- Or you can change your membership from “iFit Coach Family” ($399) to “iFit Coach Individual” ($144).
- After your free subscription ends, there are two iFit Coach memberships you can purchase:
iFit Coach Individual Membership (Individual Equipment user): An iFit Coach Individual membership is the best way to go if you own large fitness equipment, like a treadmill, elliptical, or bike, as it allows you to enjoy the full iFit experience for $144 per year. You can only create one profile here and at one time only one person can be signed into your account. So, if you and your partner want to use the iFit app at the same time on two different machines, you either need two iFit Coach Individual Memberships ($300 per year) or a Family Membership which I explain below.
iFit Coach Family Membership (multiple equipment users): An iFit Coach Family membership lets you share all of the benefits of a Premium membership with up to three additional users. For $39 per month ($468 per year) or $395 per year upfront ($33 per month), each user will have access to all the same features you do. Their login info, workouts, stats, and goals will be separate from your account and any other secondary accounts.
You may want o to end your benefits or unsubscribe from the iFit app because the subscription automatically renews with a $399 fee after a year.
“To avoid auto-renewal on your account, you can end your benefits through your settings on the iFit website or unsubscribe from the iFit app through your device settings. Once you end your benefits, you will be able to use your membership until the date that your next payment is due.”
This way, it is up to you whether to renew the membership after the free month ends or to stay with them. There are tons of great workouts and features with iFit. If there is only one person using the bike, it is cheaper to go with the “iFit Coach Individual” package.
Being iFit enabled, the NordicTrack S22i indoor cycle allows you to access thousands of streamed global and studio class workouts. With iFit, you can benefit from cycling with great personal trainers in your home.
Thankfully, you don’t even have to pay for the first month when you buy the NordicTrack S22i indoor cycle which is a great value. Because the 1-month iFit® Coach Family Membership is included.
iFit combined with the NordicTrack Commercial Studio bike’s smart electromagnetic resistance, allows your coach to take control of the resistance on your bike to realistically match the terrain of your workout. When your trainer goes up a hill, you’ll feel more intensity.
Additionally, it allows you to check your monthly/weekly progress as every cycling session is automatically recorded and even used to influence future exercises and nutrition plans.
Overall the S22i Studio Cycle represents a new generation of iFit Coach training because it has smart auto-adjustment technology and includes on-demand access to spin class videos with the motivating guidance of expert coaches.
Note: iFit is an application that you access via WiFi connectivity. So, if you don’t have a WiFi connection and an iFit account, you will not access any of these features. Without a paid membership, you also won’t be able to save the workouts on the iFit app.
How to Connect a NordicTrack S22i to Zwift?
Out of the box, the NordicTrack S22i is not compatible with the Zwift. It’s because Nordictrack wants you to use the S22i and its built-in console with its own iFit application. However, recently an app developer has created two applications (the QZ app and the QZ Companion app) to give the NordicTrack S22i the possibility to connect to Zwift.
There are two solutions for connecting the Nordictrack S22i with the Zwift; One is for if you want to install the Zwift application on the NordicTrack S22i screen. It’s not the best solution because the S22i console has a low graphic quality and storage capacity so the Zwift picture quality really bad and keeps freezing.
The other solution is much better because you won’t be installing the Zwift app on the S22i console. Instead, you will use an iPad/tablet, Apple TV, or PC to install the Zwift. If you choose this route, you will be installing the “QZ-Companion application” on the S22i’s screen, the “QZ application” on your phone, and the “Zwift application” on your third device (iPad/tablet, PC, Mac, or Apple TV).
Once again, as I mentioned earlier, if you like Zwift cycling, I would suggest you buy one of the indoor bikes that work best with the Zwift without having to jailbreak things. Even an Echelon EX5 or an Echelon EX3 bike would be a better option for the Zwfit cycling compared to the Nordictrack S22i. The last two indoor bikes are half the price and easier to connect to Zwift.
Pedals and Q-factor:
- NordicTrack S22i pedals are toe clips with straps (16/9″ pedal thread).
- They are not SPD (clipless shoes) compatible.
- The NordicTrack S22i q-factor is 150 mm.
- S22i has a three-piece crank arm system.
Featuring wide platform with adjustable straps, these pedals are designed to last, increase stability and keep your feet in place. They are okay if you want to do a full-body workout (cross-training).
Because in order to do cross-training and use the dumbbells, often you have to get off the bike. In this case, you want to wear a pair of regular comfortable gym shoes and avoid the bulky SPD shoe cleats.
However, if you think someday you will be doing only a spinning workout on the bike (which is highly possible), I recommend you replace the pedals of the NordicTrack S22i spin cycle with dual-sided SPD compatible pedals.
They cost around $40-$50 and offer a great deal of comfort, safety, and efficiency. On one side, they have toe cages for regular gym shoes and on the other side, there are the SPD elements for clipless cycling shoes.
Cycling with the SPD shoes and SPD pedals, there is very little chance that your feet slide off the pedals causing injury during the rides. Other benefits of SPD shoes are extra stability/comfort and better power transfer and pedal stroke.
As far as the q-factor goes, the S22i NordicTrack Commercial spin bike is pretty unique. It has an ergonomic 150 mm q-factor which is an excellent size for all riders.
And in case you are new to indoor cycling, the q-factor is the lateral distance between the two pedals. The narrower it is, the better it is. Wide q-factors tend to keep the rider’s feet too much apart not allowing the ankle, knees, and hips to stay aligned, which can cause stress on the knees during long intense rides.
S22i Studio Cycle Flywheel:
- NordicTrack S22i exercise bike flywheel weighs 32 pounds.
- This bike has a medium gear-ratio Inertia-enhanced flywheel.
- The flywheel is fixed (it is fixed-gear and bidirectional).
- S22i exercise bike lacks in water resistance flywheel protection guard.
You have probably heard of the flywheel needs to be more than 40 pounds to provide a smooth steady pedal stroke. Well, it is not always the case, especially if the bike has a combination of magnetic resistance and a good gear ratio.
For example, the $2000 Keiser M3i, its flywheel is 8 pounds. Yet, some of the world’s top-notch coaches use the M3i to work out.
As for the NordicTrack S22i indoor cycle, it has a combination of medium gear ratio and magnetic resistance. And that is why this bike’s 32 pounds inertia enhanced flywheel can provide momentum and smooth steady pedal stroke.
On top of that, the faster gear ratio and the effective weight placement on the flywheel deliver a more natural cycling experience while keeping the bike light for easy transportation inside the house.
The NordicTrack S22i bike is fixed-gear which is good and bad. The good thing is that it is bidirectional so you can pedal reverse and workout different leg muscles.
The bad is that if you need to get off the bike in case of an emergency or take a few-second breaks, you will have to wait until the flywheel stops turning.
Unfortunately, most spin bikes are fixed-gear which means their flywheel and the pedals move and stop moving together. For now, there are only a few spin bikes such as the Life Fitness IC8 (nearly $3300) that have a free-wheel smart release system.
On free-wheel exercise bikes, you can stop pedaling while the flywheel is turning independently, which is similar to road bikes. Note: Don’t look for free-wheel spin bikes unless your budget is $2000+, at least not in 2019.
S22i Resistance, Incline & Decline:
- NordicTrack S22i is a magnetic spin bike.
- This bike has a smart electromagnetic system.
- There are 24 levels of resistance adjustable via touch on the screen and controls on the handlebars.
- There is also a manual emergency stop knob on the frame. (It is solely to stop the flywheel, not to change resistance).
- You can see the current resistance level on the monitor (no guess workout).
- Magnetic resistance is a silent and virtually maintenance-free system.
- S22i indoor bike comes with -10 to 20% “smart” electronically adjustable incline and decline.
The NordicTrack S22i bike has a magnetic resistance system. It allows you to experience a smooth, frictionless, and silent ride. Unlike friction resistance bikes, the magnetic doesn’t come in contact with the flywheel.
Therefore, they make zero noise, and because they don’t touch the flywheel, they don’t wear out. So, you don’t have to change the brake pads or lube them to make them less noisy.
The magnetic system is also smoother (not jerky) during the gear change and high-intensity workouts. Overall it is great because there is no loud annoying noise so both you and your family can have peace during your spinning workout.
Being a magnetic indoor cycling bike is only part of the beauty of commercial studio cycle S22i. Because not only this indoor cycle is magnetic but it is also is electromagnetic. And not only it is electromagnetic but it is Smart electromagnetic.
Here is the difference between the “magnetic”, “electromagnetic” and “smart electromagnetic”. “Magnetic spin bikes” have a knob that requires you to manually adjust the resistance. Manually turning a knob is not as precise as an electromagnetic system.
“Electromagnetic spin bikes” change resistance level via buttons/touch. They are more precise than spin bikes with knob adjustment resistance. But many electromagnetic systems are not smart, meaning the resistance doesn’t automatically change based on the type of workout or the terrain.
“Smart Electromagnetic resistance spin bikes” (like this Nordic Track cycle which is very rare to find) change resistance via built-in controls or touch on the screen. Additionally, they allow the workout programs to automatically change the resistance based on the type of workouts and the terrain.
Featuring smart Electromagnetic resistance, the NordicTrack allows the iFit coaches and the programs (workouts) to automatically change the resistance to simulate the type of terrain you ride.
For example, if the workout you picked has an uphill, the resistance will automatically increase when you start going uphill. On top of that, you can always see your current resistance level.
So, you don’t need to guess the resistance level as you would with the 99% of the spin bikes on the market. Additionally, this NordicTrack spin bike comes with a “smart incline and decline” adjustment.
Just like the resistance, when the coach in a spin video on the iFit app changes their incline/decline, your bike will automatically change these settings to match the coach’s intensity and incline. And to be honest I can’t think of any exercise bike in this price class that would offer such a smart interacting system other than this NordicTrack Studio Commercial S22i exercise bike.
Note: The watt/power created by resistance is not disclosed. But I believe the 24 levels of resistance and those huge magnets will provide any rider including elite cyclists with plenty of resistance for a challenging high-intensity workout.
S22i Commercial Bike Transmission:
- NordicTrack S22i features a belt drivetrain system.
- It is smoother, quieter and requires less maintenance compared to chain spin bikes.
- Again, the S22i Commercial Studio indoor bike by NordicTrack has a fix-gear drivetrain.
This Smart exercise bike by NordicTrack features a belt drivetrain system that has certain advantages over chain drivetrain bikes. Firs advantage, it does not require lubing so you don’t have to make your hands or gym floor dirty every few weeks.
On top of that, the belt is smoother than the chain system. And even more importantly, the belt system is quieter which makes it more home-friendly. Last but not least, the belt has way less breakdown and maintenance than the chain.
The overall belt-driven system combined with the magnetic resistance provides a smooth, frictionless, and silent ride allowing you to exercise indoor without interrupting anyone around you.
Handlebars and Seat:
- S22i seat is 4-way adjustable (horizontally and vertically).
- The seat adjusts for most user heights.
- It is an ergonomically made padded performance seat.
- The handlebar adjusts vertically (multiple positions).
- S22i spin bike handlebars are 2-way adjustable (up and down).
- Two dumbbells and a dumbbell holder are included.
- Each dumbbell weighs 3 pounds, they are for upper body cross-training workout.
- Considering the upright frame design and the adjustments, the NordicTrack Studio S22i spin bike can accommodate users from 4’9″ to 6’6″ tall.
- NordicTrack Studio Cycle comes with double bottle holders.
The NordicTrack S22i Studio exercise bike features two 3-pound dumbbells for upper body workout. They are conveniently built-in on the handlebars which are easy to reach when you are on the bike, unlike Peloton which has the weights behind the seat and difficult to reach.
With the S22i bike by NordicTrack not only you can tone your legs, but using these dumbbells, you can also do cross-training workouts that will pump your upper body as well as your legs. There are also many cross-training workouts (mix dumbbell and cycling classes) on iFit that you can pick to follow.
The NordicTrack Studio Cycle has an ergonomic seat. Unlike cheap seats found on the majority of indoor cycling bikes, the NordicTrack Smart Studio bike has a performance seat that some (not all) riders find it comfortable. The seat is narrow (not wide) which minimizes the saddle sore, friction and chafing on the sensitive areas. I suggest you ride the bike for a while and if you feel uncomfortable, get yourself one of the Nordictrack S22i seat replacements we have reviewed.
As for the handlebars, they are only up/down adjustable (not fore/aft) which is usually not a good sign for spin bikes because not all riders can fit the bike properly.
But that is not the case with the NordicTrack Commercial Studio S22i indoor cycle because of its upright frame. It is ergonomically designed for perfect bike fit and comfort, while the multi-position non-slip adjustable handlebars cut down on fatigue so you can ride longer.
With that being said, it would have been great, if NordicTrack built the S22i with 4-way adjustable handlebars. Some riders, especially shorter users would have really appreciated the extra adjustment possibility on the handlebars.
Value for Money and Warranty:
- NordicTrack S22i indoor cycling bike retails for less than $2000.
- The S22i Studio cycle by NordicTrack is covered by;
- 10 Years on frame
- 3-Year on parts
- 1-Year labor warranty
- Customer Service Department Contact: “1-877-993-7999”
- Parts and Service Sales: “1-877-660-1174”
- To extend your manufacturer’s warranty by 90 days, register your S22i cycle within 30 days of purchase here: “https://my.iconfitness.com/”.
- Visit the following URL address to order parts on-line if you are out of your manufacturer or extended warranty period: “https://www.iconservice.com/”.
- Visit the following URL address and fill the form to order parts under warranty: “https://www.iconservice.com/contactus”.
- For troubleshooting or asking questions regarding your bike send emails: “email@example.com”.
- For live chat support visit one of the following URLs and click on the “Live Chat” icon: “https://myfitnesshelp.com/s/?language=en_US” “https://www.nordictrack.com/”
Considering, the commercial-quality structure, smart technology, and free iFit membership, the NordicTrack S22i indoor cycle is one of the best value spin bikes on the market for this price.
Practically, you pay only $1600 for a smart high-tech bike with a 22″ touch-screen because right after purchasing the S22i the company gives back $40 with a month iFit subscription.
Even without the iFit, is there any spin bike on the market with the commercial-quality, smart electromagnetic system, smart incline/decline, dumbbell integration, belt-driven, 22″ touch-screen monitor with RPM and Watt for under $2000? The answer is NO.
For someone who has been riding and reviewing spin bikes for years, I can say with full confidence that there is no indoor cycling bike that can beat the NordicTrack S22i spin bike in its price class, at least not for now (November 2019).
As for the warranty, not only does this NordicTrack cycle offers a steel commercial frame construction, it is also covered with a 10-year warranty to prove the commercial quality.
Additionally, the 3-Years warranty on all parts, including the monitor provides peace of mind. In fact, there are a few companies that would stand behind their equipment with such a generous warranty.
As far as the labor warranty goes, I believe one year is not bad at all for this price class. Many bikes around the same price don’t even come with the labor warranty; if they do, it is only limited to 90-day.
For example, the L Now spin bikes. Some of their cycles retail for around the same price, yet they don’t even have a labor warranty and their part warranties don’t exceed 9 months.
If you have any questions regarding the warranty, you will need to visit the links that I provided above. Depending on your inquiry, you might have to fill in the form with your name, phone number, time zone, and the best time to call you.
S22i Shipping and Assembly:
- NordicTrack S22i assembly tools and clear assembly instructions are included.
- NordicTrack Studio S22i bike shipping is free in the U.S.
- This cycle comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee (you can return it for replacement or refund).
- Main parts that need assembly are the;
- Seat, handlebars, pedals, stabilizer rear and front feet, and the monitor.
- Watch the S22i assembly video to see if it is something you can do.
You have the following three options for S22i assembly: #1 do it yourself and save $. #2 Buy an exercise bike assembly from Amazon for $89. #3 Buy an exercise bike assembly from NordicTrack for $250.
I would personally go with the first option because I am handy, most consumers mentioned its easy to assemble the NordicTrack S22i and more importantly, there is a nice and clear S22i assembly video to show me how to do it (check the link above).
There is also a little change I might go with option 2 if I am busy but there is no chance that I would go with option 3 ($250 for NordicTrack assembly).
Following the NordicTrack indoor cycling bike manual/instruction, the assembly shouldn’t take more than 60-80 minutes. All the needed tools are also included except for a screwdriver.
As you can see in the video it is a straight forward process but if you are not sure you can do it, it is better to buy an exercise bike assembly and have the machine assembled properly. Because if you fail to assemble it correctly, the warranty won’t cover the damage.
Tips: S22i Nordic Track is pretty heavy so I suggest you assemble the bike where you want to use it. Also, it is recommended to assemble the S22i bike in two.
Last Word on NordicTrack Commercial S22i Studio Cycle
The NordicTrack Commercial S22i Studio Cycle is great for all fitness levels including elite cyclists looking for an interacting and smart bike. If you love fun workout videos with large LCD and advanced technology to keep your spinning workouts interesting, the NordicTrack S22i spin cycle is for you.
With advanced features and competitive prices, this NordicTrack exercise bike is a good deal, especially compared to Peloton. The fact that S22i spin bike comes with a 1-year free iFit Coach makes it even a better deal for anyone looking to get in shape with industry-leading coaches.
With high-quality spin classes on demand, you can benefit from iFit personal training inside your living room. Additionally, you’ll also get access to the popular iFit Coach unlimited Google Map workouts with vivid landscape views, and automated electromagnetic resistance, incline and decline adjustment.
Overall, this NordicTrack spin bike is an excellent option for alternating between gym-style training and scenic outdoor tours. With no doubt, you can spend less on a sturdy exercise bike, but workouts wouldn’t be as fun and entertaining.
So, If budget isn’t a top priority, the high-tech commercial S22i Studio cycle is a great choice in your search for an interactive spin bike. To exercise like comfortably with this Nordictrack spin bike, make sure to check out our spinning clothing section and get prepared for an exciting spinning exercise.
Tip! It is better to replace the S22i pedals with dual-sided SPD for a safer and more efficient workout, but that’s a decision you don’t need to make right away. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, make sure to check out the ProForm Smart Power. It is a good value cycle with lots of good features.
The S22i Indoor cycling bike is less expensive than the Peloton and comes with more accessories and also it costs less. NordicTrack S22i offers an incline/decline range of -10% to 20% which is pretty unique. The pedals offer only toe cage which is unfortunate for such an awesome bike and I hope in the future they add dual-sided SPD pedals to this spin bike. But other than that, the S22i indoor cycling bike has everything you need from a durable frame with a 350-pound weight capacity to a long warranty. The S22i warranty offers lifetime frame protection, 3 years for parts, and 1 year for labor which is great compared to competitors.
- The iFit membership allows you access to over ten thousand spinning workouts and provides you with guidance as you go about your workout session.
- Studio cycle S22i is one of the few spin bikes with such a high-tech 22" Bluetooth and iFit-enabled HD screen on the market. This touchscreen display allows you to save your workouts and follow along with your iFit programming.
- Just like Peloton, except for the fact that it is included for free, the NordicTrack S22i exercise bike comes with two 3-pound dumbbells and a dumbbell holder. Built into the bike, it is perfect for those who want to mix upper-body strength training with lower-body cardio workouts. Luckily there are tons of mixed spinning and dumbbell (cross-training) workout videos available on the iFit to choose from.
- Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity plus 24 levels of precise "Smart" electronic magnetic resistance for a smooth, challenging, and silent workout.
- -10 to 20% "Smart" electronic incline and decline adjustments, can be controlled by iFit studio cycling trainers.
- Durable transport wheels make the NordicTrack S22i commercial bike's mobility a breeze.
- 4-Way adjustable monitor. (Tilt-adjustable and 360-degree pivoting screen for a perfect screen view on and off the bike).
- Generous warranty on parts and 10 years warranty on commercial frame construction.
- Low maintenance quiet belt drivetrain to provide an enjoyable indoor cycling exercise.
- HDMI port to connect the bike to a bigger screen. Audio auxiliary port to listen to the videos with higher quality speakers.
- Money-back guarantee, Plus easy-to-reach resistance and incline/decline adjustment controls on the handlebars.
- This indoor cycling bike does not feature a tablet or phone holder. So, if you need to keep your devices close, you will have to purchase separate device holders.
- These pedals don't allow you to clip-in SPD cycling shoes for a safer, more efficient and more comfortable spinning workout because they don't have the SPD elements. But it can be fixed for less than $50. Thankfully, the NordicTrack spin bike features the standard 16/9" pedal thread. So, SPD replacements are widely available.
- It is not necessarily a con as you don't have to renew the iFit subscription for the NordicTrack S22i indoor bike. But if you want to record your workouts and watch spinning classes or ride in spin bike classes from inside your home, you will need to pay $144 (for individuals) or $399 (for families) to subscribe after your free month subscription ends.
- 2-Way adjustable handlebars (only adjusts up and down, you can't adjust them forward and backward).
- There is no flywheel and resistance sweat protection guard so you need to clean the sweat more often.
- It is not iPod-compatible. The S22i exercise bike by NordicTrack does not have ANT/+ connectivity.
- S22i monitor only works with iFit (Can't watch Netflix, Youtube, or connect to Zwift and other cycling apps unless jailbroken
- An uncomfortable saddle that you would probably need to change to avoid indoor cycling saddle sore.