Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC Indoor Cycle Review: Great Buy
Having personally experienced the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycle, I can provide insights into its features, performance, and areas of improvement including its cons. To start with, the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycle offers a smooth and quiet ride, thanks to its magnetic resistance system.
It has a 100 level motorized resistance that allows for effortless adjustments, enhancing the overall workout experience. However, the absence of resistance controls on the handlebars or a set of gear shifters like road bike can be inconvenient if you are an experience road cyclists and prioritise seamless transitions during interval cycling workouts.
The Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC features a 28.6-pound aluminum flywheel, delivering a solid and consistent ride for pretty much all fitness levels unless you are 250+ pound then you would probably need a heavier flywheel. The 3″x3″ high contrast LCD console provides essential metrics like RPM, speed, resistance level, time, and calories burned. It also supports Bluetooth FTMS capabilities, allowing connectivity with popular cycling apps such as Zwift and Peloton.
The Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC stands out with its motorized magnetic resistance system, offering convenient adjustments. The durable aluminum construction of the flywheel enhances longevity and provides an authentic natural-cycling feel. Additionally, the versatile dual-sided pedals with toe cages and SPD clips cater to different riding preferences. It’s something you don’t get in many other spin bikes under $1000.
Shortly I am going to say the benefits of the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycling bike include its smooth and quiet ride, motorized resistance adjustments, and a durable flywheel. However, your should also know the lack of handlebar controls for resistance adjustments can be inconvenient for some users. The saddle also may feel hard and unyielding, but wearing padded cycling shorts or investing $30 in a standard comfortable indoor bike seat can greatly improve comfort.
I hope this review of the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycle provides you a comprehensive evaluation from my perspective and offers valuable insights for potential buyers. Before we go further into this article, let’s take a look at how Horizon Fitness 7.0 ic Indoor Bike has evolved from previous model which the 5.0 IC.
How Horizon 7.0 IC Indoor Cycling Evolved From Previous Model
|Features||Horizon 7.0 IC||Horizon 5.0 IC|
|Handlebars||Horizontal & vertical adjustment||Only vertical adjustment|
|Console||3×3 LCD with built-in programs||2×2 without programs|
|HRM||Heart rate monitor included||Heart rate monitor not included|
|Support||300 lbs||250 lbs|
|Holder||Dual bottle holders||Single bottle holder|
|Resistance||100-level electronic magnetic||100-level electronic magnetic|
|Weight||87 lbs||85 lbs|
|Flywheel||28.6 lbs||28.6 lbs|
|Applications||FTMS Bluetooth for all apps||FTMS Bluetooth for all apps|
|Data||Cadence, Calories, Distance, Heart Rate, Resistance Level, Speed, Time, Watts||Cadence, Calories, Distance, Heart Rate, Resistance Level, Speed, Time, Watts|
The Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycle has evolved from its previous model, the Horizon Fitness 5.0 IC, to provide significant improvements and address user concerns. While both models share similarities in terms of frame design, weight, flywheel, and electronic magnetic resistance, the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC offers notable enhancements which I am going to explain to help your make an informed purchase decision.
One notable improvement is the handlebar adjustability. Unlike its predecessor, the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC allows for both vertical and horizontal adjustments, providing users with a more customizable and comfortable riding position. This enhancement caters to a wider range of body types and cycling position and posture preferences.
The LCD monitor on the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC is also larger (3×3 inches) and clearer compared to the Horizon Fitness 5.0 IC’s smaller 2×2 inch monitor. This upgrade ensures better visibility of essential workout metrics, allowing you to track your progress with ease.
Built-in programs for intervals and weight loss are exclusive to the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC, offering users structured and goal-oriented workout options. These programs provide variety and motivation which ultimately helps you achieve your fitness targets effectively on your own without an instructor.
Moreover, the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC includes a Bluetooth wireless heart rate monitor armband, which enhances the rider’s ability to track and monitor their heart rate during workouts. This feature provides valuable insights into the intensity and effectiveness of your training sessions.
In terms of capacity, the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC can support up to 300 lbs, while the Horizon Fitness 5.0 IC has a maximum weight capacity of 250 lbs. This increased weight limit ensures that a broader range of individuals can safely utilize the equipment and indicate higher quality structure.
Additional practical features on the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC include two convenient and easily accessible large bottle holders, compared to the Horizon Fitness 5.0 IC’s single lower-positioned holder. This allows users to stay hydrated throughout their workouts without interruption.
Lastly, the inclusion of a USB charging port on the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC provides added convenience, allowing users to charge their devices while engaging in their indoor cycling sessions.
I know Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycle is a bit more expensive but I thin it has evolved a lot from the Horizon Fitness 5.0 IC to justify the higher price tag. These enhancements offer users a more customizable, engaging, and convenient exercise experience.
However, it’s important for you to consider your budget, preferences, and specific needs when deciding between the two models. If you don’t want all the extras, you can get the Horizon 5.0 IC and still rest assured that you are getting one of the best auto-resistance spin bikes in its price class.
Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC Comparable Alternatives
While the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC is a compelling choice, it’s important to explore comparable indoor bikes to find the best fit for your specific needs. Down below I recommend two comparable indoor cycling bikes that you can consider when making decision.
One alternative worth considering is the Echelon EX5. This bike is ideal for users who prefer using their own full HD tablet instead of bike’s screen for a more personalized experience. With its rear drive flywheel and automatic resistance, it provides additional stability and compatibility with popular apps like Zwift and Kinomap. The Echelon EX5 also boasts a sturdy build quality, an improved tablet holder, and a more comfortable saddle. It is often priced under $1000, making it a competitive option in the same price range as the Horizon 7.0.
Another alternative to the Horizon 7.0 IC is the Schwinn IC4. While it only has manual magnetic resistant and lacks an automatic resistance system like the ones on Horizon 7.0 and Echelon EX5, it offers its own set of appealing features. The Schwinn IC4 comes equipped with a 3×2″ backlit display and Bluetooth FTMS, allowing seamless connectivity with various indoor cycling apps, including popular ones like Zwift and Peloton. Additionally, the Schwinn IC4 includes a set of dumbbells, providing an extra element to incorporate arm workouts into your cycling routine.
Consider your preferences and priorities when evaluating these comparable alternatives to the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC spin bike. Whether you value adjustable tablet holder, automatic resistance, or additional workout accessories, exploring options like the Echelon EX5 and Schwinn IC4 can help you make an informed decision that aligns with your specific circumstances and goals.
- Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC specification
- Horizon Fitness 7.0 cycle computer
- Pedals and Q-factor
- Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC flywheel
- Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC resistance
- Belt drive mechanism
- Handlebars and seat
- IC 7.0 price and warranty
- Shipping and assembly
Horizon Fitness IC 7.0 Specification:
- Height: 47″
- Width: 20″
- Length: 47″
- Bike Weight: 87 Pounds
- Max User Weight: 300 Pounds
- Inseam Capacity: 5′ to 6’3″
- Transport Wheels: Yes
- Base Leveling Feet: Yes, 4
- Water Bottle Holder: Yes, 2
- Power Requirement: 110 Volt Standard Power Outlet
The thickened 87 pounds frame and wide base supports, plus the weight of the user help this indoor cycling bike provide a rock-solid workout. The 7.0 IC Horizon Fitness magnetic spin bike designed with durable construction that can support all types of spinning workouts.
There are total 4 horizontal adjustment knobs under the front and rear stabilizer to keep the bike stable on different surfaces, so the bike always provides you safe riding even if your home gym floor is not levelled. Additionally, the Horizon magnetic 7.0 IC exercise bike features a durable powder coating which is rust and scratch-resistant.
For relocating the bike after each spinning workout, the front base is equipped with two transport wheels. As for dimensions, compared to a few other bikes this model has a slightly larger footprint which gives the bike the ability to accommodate taller users.
Horizon Fitness 7.0 Indoor Cycle Computer:
- Horizon Fitness magnetic bike includes a unique computer for the price.
- It tracks the RPM, time, watt, resistance, speed, distance, scan and calories burned.
- Using the buttons below the screen you can set time and calorie goal and recovery time.
- It has Bluetooth FTMS wireless connectivity and works with Zwift, Peloton, and QZ.
- Horizon 7.0 IC exercise bike comes with a tablet holder and included heart rate monitor.
The computer included with this Horizon Fitness spin bike, displays your time, speed, scan, RPM, distance, and calories burned. It enables you to see your results to stay motivated and on pace.
It is a high-tech computer which is not really common for the price point as many comparable indoor cycling bikes don’t even include a built-in computer. Overall it’s backlit and easy to see display is much better featuring larger LCD monitor.
Unfortunately, with this monitor, you can’t save stats on the bike itself but you can connect the bike via Bluetooth exercise bike apps like QZ and through that to Strave and save your progress online.
Although you could install the cycling applications of your choice on your tablet or phone and directly connect to the bike, I suggest using the QZ as a bridge app as it allows more customisation and gives the ability to to fully synch the bike rather than just synch its cadence.
There is also a built-in media shelf on the handlebars that fits any size tablet which means if you want to keep your device on the bike, you won’t need to buy a tablet holder separately. It would have been better if they hadn’t built the tray fixed on the handlebars and instead used a separate angel adjustable shelf for better screen viewing. In this I very much prefer the Echelon EX5’s tray.
IC 7.0 Pedals and Q-factor:
- Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycling bike features adjustable cage and spd clip in foot pedals.
- The bike has the standard 9/16″ pedal thread so other replacements are widely available.
- The q-factor is on the Horizon 7.0 IC is 175mm which is an outstanding size.
Horizon Fitness magnetic bike has durable steel toe-caged pedals. They are designed with adjustable straps and buckle to fit different size feet and keep them in place safely.
While on one side there are baskets/cages for using gym shoes, on the other side there are clip in SPD cleats. So you have the option to either use your everyday running or gym shoes or clip in a pair of specific cycling shoes which are safer because they don’t slip.
Plus, it’s more efficient to use cycling shoes instead of gyms shoes because their soles are harder so when you push on the pedal, your full force reach the cranks rather than getting lost in the rubber or foam soles that often come built-into regular gyms shoes.
I know its cleat are is only compatible with SPD shoes but thankfully the thread of the pedal is standard which means they have the 9/16″ thread size. Therefore, you can replace the pedals with widely available Look Delta or SPD-SL ones if that’s what you prefer.
The q-factor of 175mm is an acceptable one and should fit almost all riders except for elite road cyclists which I am sure those will not be using this bike for indoor cycling and instead they usually use smarter spin bikes that come with a higher price tags.
In case you are new to cycling, the q-factor is the distance between the pedals. The narrower it is, the better it is because it can keep your feet aligned with your knees and hips and minimize stress on these joints.
Lastly, the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC has a 3-piece crank arm system with sealed bearings which has less maintenance and overall easier to maintain when needed compared to 1-piece crank system.
Horizon Fitness IC 7.0 Flywheel:
- Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycling bike flywheel weighs 27.8 pounds.
- Its flywheel is fixed and bidirectional.
- It has a flywheel sweat protection guard.
This flywheel is considered mid-weight at 28.5 pounds, designed for a low-impact and natural ride with consistent momentum. It’s fixed and bi-directional, which means you can pedal in reverse.
The benefit of fixed-wheel (fixed-gear) is that you can double the number of workouts and by pedaling reverse stimulate different muscle groups. A disadvantage of fixed-gear is that you can not take a two-second break or immediately dismount the bike in case of an emergency until the flywheel stops turning.
The fixed-flywheel is connected with the pedals, so you will have to wait until the flywheel and pedals stop before you can get off the bike. There are a few indoor cycling bikes with smart release (free-wheel) system. But they cost more than $1000.
Overall the Horizon Fitness IC Bike 7.0 produces a smooth pedaling experience thanks to the combination of the magnetic system, belt and a decent weight flywheel resulting in extra stability and smoothness for the pedaling motion.
Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC Resistance:
- Horizon Fitness 7 IC has 100 levels of magnetic resistance to provide a smooth responsive ride.
- There are two sets of magnets that apply from both side of the flywheel for a high-cadence and high-intensity spin workout.
- This bike’s resistance is electronically adjustable and has buttons on the console to change intensity.
- It has the emergency push to stop function that can be applied via knob.
- This bike’s resistance can automatically change based on the built-in workout programs and connected cycling applications.
The main selling factor of this Horizon Fitness indoor cycle is its silent magnetic resistance technology and quiet belt driven system which make it ideal for home cardio exercise.
Here is what you need to know about this model! Featuring a heavier flywheel than competitors, the IC 7.0 magnetic indoor cycling exercise bike works well for both, the high-speed workouts as well as high intensity challenging workouts.
As I mentioned earlier in this Horizon Fitness IC 7.0 indoor cycling bike review, this bike is equipped with an electronically magnetic resistance system. So, the resistance is controlled electronically which means you don’t need to find a socket to plug in the bike.
In addition to quiet operation, the Horizon fitness magnetic IC 7.0 exercise bike resistance is also virtually maintenance-free, unlike bikes with friction resistance. The resistance does not wear out and you won’t have to go through the hassle of changing the brake pad like you would for friction bikes.
Fortunately, the resistance levels is specified and displayed on the console so you would always know the exact level or your previous resistance level. It’s much better than other magnetic exercise bikes that don’t provide current resistance level.
Lastly, the resistance also serves as an emergency brake; by pressing it down you can immediately stop the flywheel, which may be necessary in case of emergency or if you want to alternate normal with reverse pedalling sessions.
Belt Drive Mechanism:
- Horizon Fitness IC 7 features belt-drive design for a quiet and smooth workout.
- This bike has a fixed-gear single belt direct drive mechanism.
In addition to the magnetic system, one of the aspects that I like about Horizon Fitness indoor cycle bike IC is the belt driven mechanism. In fact, it is the combination of the belt with magnetic resistance that makes this cycle stand out from the crowd.
Featuring a heavy-duty poly-v belt drivetrain comes with several advantages. For example, it doesn’t require lubing so you wouldn’t have to deal with the mess that oil could make on your floor.
The other benefits include low-maintenance because the belt is one piece, unlike chain with 100+ little pieces or rings, pins and rollers. And last but not least, the belt does not generate as much vibration as the chain does, therefore, it is extremely quiet and smooth.
Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC is made for indoor cycling workout for all fitness levels therefore, it has durable and solid crank arms. It can support the rider in all cycling positions include out of the seat full body high-intensity workouts.
Handlebars and Seat:
- Horizon Fitness saddle is 4-way adjustable for a perfect bike fit and comfortable ride.
- The seat is designed relatively narrow for low-friction but doesn’t have centre-cut breathability.
- The handlebars are also 4-way adjustable with safety holes on the vertical post for a comfortable safe ride.
- Despite its affordable price tag, the handlebars are dipped and curved semi-pro for comfort and versatile workout.
The seat is 4-way adjustable for a perfect bike setting and to provide a safe and comfortable ride for all your family members.
It is well padded and more comfortable than many other spin bikes in this price class. It is also relatively narrow which minimizes friction and chafing for riders with narrow hips.
Instead of regular dents, its vertical posts have several adjustment holes that keep the seat and handlebars tightly in place and prevent shaking or going down.
Featuring a multi-grip dipped handlebar design, your workout remains comfortable when riding for long periods of time. The aero bar adds several grip possibilities and allows you to change arm positions to engage different upper muscles and prevent wrist and arm aches and fatigue.
Horizon 7.0 IC Price and Warranty:
- IC 7.0 is sold and shipped by and from Amazon store which means you can quickly receive and return it.
- You could also buy it directly from Horizonfitness.com for the same price ($799) but you wouldn’t have the extra Amazon support assurance.
- The Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycle bike warranty includes;
- All parts including the wearing parts are under a 1-year in home warranty.
- Lifetime frame warranty.
- You can forward any support and/or warranty inquiries to “horizonfitness.com”.
Considering all the features including the dipped handlebar design, high-quality seat, magnetic resistance, belt, and lifetime frame warranty, the Horizon Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike is a good value for the money.
For $700 you are buying what a fancy fitness equipment brand would have priced it at least $1000+. And the fact that Horizon Fitness is covering this budget home cycle for 1-year in your home is a clear indication of its quality and value.
It is not some cheap bike with nice features that would last a few months and then goes to recycle. As for the parts under warranty or any other information in that manner, you can contact the email address provided above.
Note the Horizon Fitness warranty doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents subject to the terms of their limited warranty. Which is common among all fitness equipment brands.
Shipping and assembly:
- Horizon Fitness 7.0 indoor cycle bike comes mostly assembled.
- The package includes all the needed installation tools and the manual.
- Horizon IC 7.0 shipping is free in the United States and in Canada.
- This bike ships in one box that weighs around 104 pounds.
The IC 7.0 by Horizon Fitness comes with the required installation tools and assembly instruction to make the assembly process a piece of cake. So, you wouldn’t need to spend another $80 for that.
Most of the bike comes already assembled. The flywheel, the drive belt, the crank assembly and the resistance mechanism are already attached to the main frame.
Therefore, in terms of assembly, all you need to do is attach the front and rear base bars to the main-frame, install the seat and handlebar posts and finally the console and the pedals.
This shouldn’t take more than 30-40 minutes. The Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC manual will guide you through the assembly steps and thankfully the tools required for it are all included.
Note: Please pay attention to the pedal assembling, the left pedal needs to be screwed in counter-clockwise. As for the maintenance, a periodic check for loose bolts and parts is recommended.
The transmission does not require any lubrication since it’s a belt and not a chain. Other than this, swipe it with the towel after each workout and keep the liquids away from the console unit.
The Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC indoor cycle stands as a top contender within its price range mainly because it offers a smooth and quiet ride with its 100 level of motorized magnetic resistance system. The durable aluminum flywheel provides a consistent and authentic road-cycling feel. While the absence of handlebar controls for resistance adjustments may be a drawback for some, the high contrast LCD console with Bluetooth FTMS capabilities and versatile dual-sided pedals add to its appeal. With its compact dimensions and ease of movement, the 7.0 IC is a practical choice for those with limited space. The inclusion of valuable features like goal-oriented programs, tablet holder, and ample warranty coverage further enhance the overall experience. If you are looking for an affordable and reliable indoor cycling option, the Horizon Fitness 7.0 IC delivers on performance, durability, and convenience.
- Experience a smooth and quiet ride thanks to the advanced magnetic resistance system.
- Enjoy a durable and low-maintenance exercise bike due to the magnetic resistance mechanism.
- Connect seamlessly with multiple apps through Bluetooth FTMS, enabling auto-resistance and a diverse range of interactive training options.
- Benefit from a variety of workout programs designed to keep you motivated and achieve your fitness goals.
- Stay hydrated and entertained during your workouts with convenient bottle and tablet holders that can accommodate devices of various sizes.
- Effortlessly adjust resistance levels with motorized and programmable features, allowing for a personalized and challenging workout.
- Achieve a comfortable riding position with the highly adjustable design, accommodating riders of all heights.
- Choose your preferred footwear with the versatile SPD and toe-caged pedals, compatible with clip-in cycling shoes and regular gym shoes.
- Stay informed and motivated with the high contrast LCD console, providing essential metrics such as RPM, speed, resistance, time, calories, and heart rate.
- The absence of handlebar controls for resistance adjustments may be inconvenient for those who prefer on-the-fly changes.
- The front flywheel location requires additional maintenance for cleaning due to its exposure to sweat and debris.
- The saddle is reported to be hard and lacks elbow rests or aerodynamic grips, potentially leading to discomfort for some users.
- Some users may find the saddle discomforting, necessitating additional measures such as padded shorts or gel covers for improved comfort.
- There have been concerns raised about the manufacturer's quality inspection process, indicating room for improvement in ensuring consistent product quality.
- The absence of in-bike app installation or a cooling fan may limit certain features or convenience, particularly for summer rides.
- Caution should be exercised, as the sharp edges of the flywheel pose a potential risk, particularly for children who might come into contact with it.